spiced tomato soup for a winter's day...


I can't think of anything nicer than a big bowl of warming soup at this time of year. Nourishment for body and soul.
I found this recipe the other day, whilst sifting through old magazines and cuttings.
I've mentioned before that I am always tearing recipes from magazines and newspapers, which then accumulate in a pile on the desk or floor or tucked into a book.
From time to time I have to 'spring clean' and only keep those recipes which I think I will actually make.


Which is how I found this recipe for a rather posh tomato soup, torn from an old Waitrose Food magazine.

I remember being bitterly disappointed when, years ago, I first made home-made tomato soup. My taste buds were expecting the rather sweet, gloopy flavour of childhood favourite Heinz Cream of Tomato soup and the soup I made was nothing like it!
Much as Proust's madeleine evoked memories of his past life, so tinned tomato soup evokes nostalgic memories of my childhood for me!

But time and taste-buds have moved on and this soup was just as warm and comforting!
And with lentils and cashew nuts providing a good amount of protein, it really was a meal in its own right.



spiced tomato soup
Serves 4
adapted from Waitrose Food magazine


Ingredients:

2tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
crushed garlic, 1 or 2 cloves to taste
2x400g tins chopped tomatoes
150g red lentils
1x400ml tin coconut milk

For the topping:

50g cashew nuts
20 g desiccated coconut
20g fresh coriander

Gently cook the onion, pepper and carrot in the oil for 5 minutes.
Add the ground coriander and cumin and cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the garlic, tomatoes, 250ml water and the lentils. Season, bring to the boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Blend the soup, then add the coconut milk and reheat gently.
Meanwhile, blitz the topping ingredients with a pinch of salt and 4 tbsp water.
Ladle into bowls to serve and add a dollop of topping.







annjenny
x





Comments

  1. I like the sound of this soup, particularly as it doesn't contain cream - and it's definitely soup weather at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly sounds good, it is soup weather that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm feeling in serious need of comfort I still go for the tinned Heinz tomato soup. It is such a throwback to childhood. But you are right, tastes do change, which is why I've just scribbled this down to stick in my recipe book ready to cook this week. Possibly even tomorrow! Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about Heinz tomato soup! Hope you enjoy the recipe :)

      Delete
  4. Just what you need on a cold wet day. I am determined to try and make it tomorrow. I am always tearing out recipes but only get around to making a few! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound rather good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. Definitely giving this one a go as I love red lentils (made a delicious coconutty dhal last night) and cashews.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment