stocktaking




It is, of course, a man-made constraint which makes us all start re-evaluating our lives as soon as the clock strikes midnight on the 31st December; without the magical New Year tag, January 1st would pass like any other day.

 But, nevertheless, January seems a good time for a little stocktaking. 

stock·tak·ing

  (stŏk′tā′kĭng)
n.
1. reappraisal of a situation, a person, or one's own position or prospects.
2. The act or process of inventorying merchandise or the supplies on hand.

(source: www.thefreedictionary.com )


I am not one for new year's resolutions, but I quite like the idea of choosing a word to represent the coming year as several other 'bloggy' friends are doing.
And the word I have chosen is 'relax'.
My intention, is to take time over and find pleasure in things, even the seemingly mundane tasks, which form much of the fabric of life, instead of rushing along frantically crossing items off an imaginary list.

A little cerebral stocktaking always clears the mind!


But a little physical stocktaking is also useful after the Christmas festivities, starting with a kitchen cupboard clear out.

And in doing so the other day, I found a couple of large bags of dried prunes. The result of one of those enticing-at-the-time bogofs.
But .... there is a limit to how many prunes that can be eaten with breakfast cereal....

so the answer seemed to be cake!



Not the most photogenic cake it has to be said.


But a squishy,moist chocolate cake, using no butter or flour, but with a squidgy filling of prunes soaked in brandy.

The recipe is from Delia's chocolate collection and can be found here.



Enjoyed with a lovely cup of tea ..... and relax!



Comments

  1. A great way to use prunes and has got to be a healthy option with no butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds lovely, next time I have lots of prunes I'll know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen prunes looking more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen similar recipes before but have never got round to them. I love prunes - always have, and this does sound good. Seems you've made a very good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your word for 2015. Your cake looks most delish. I'm a fan of prunes (and chocolate and brandy) so will have to look for a vegan version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful to me (and I like your chosen word for the year!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like my sort of cake!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment