sweetcorn

 
 
I've never tried growing sweetcorn, but seeing plants swaying gracefully on neighbouring plots ( and reading how much better freshly picked, homegrown sweetcorn tastes) I am tempted to have a go next year.
 
 
The only problem, it seems to me, is that because they are wind pollinated and need to be sown in blocks, they take up rather a lot of room.
 
The Native Americans solved this problem by their system of  3 sisters planting, growing sweetcorn, climbing beans and squash altogether, the idea being that the beans use the sweetcorn as supports and the squash provide ground cover.
 
It sounds like a good idea, but I have read that it can be difficult to harvest the individual items unless everything is left to die back and dry off first. Anyone got any thoughts?
 
 
Meanwhile, this year, I am just growing butternut squash; 4 plants grown from seed - variety Hunter. Maybe next year I will try 2 sisters i.e. underplanting sweetcorn with squash.
 
 
But homegrown or not here is a delicious recipe for sweetcorn salsa from Waitrose Weekend.
 
 
 
 
It's great if you have the BBQ going but if not the corn can be cooked on the grill.
 
 
serves 4
 
4 corn on the cob
2tbsp olive oil
1/2 bunch of salad onions, finely chopped
280g jar of roasted peppers in oil
1 red chilli
fresh coriander
juice of 2 limes
2 tbsp roasted, salted almonds, chopped
 
 
Brush the corn with a little oil and grill until nicely brown.
 When the corn is cooked, slice off the kernels and toss together with all the other ingredients.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

  1. I've grown sweetcorn successfully in the past on my fairly small veg plot and we've got some planted again this year. I do tend to pack it in and we've got about 20 plants in approx 4m square raised bed. It is well worth it! The salsa sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina, I really think I will try growing it next year then.

      Delete
  2. I will most certainly try cooking this! Delicious and inspiring, just like all your posts.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. You are very kind :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious. We grew some lovely sweetcorn last year, six neat cobs lovingly tended and all ready to be harvested. When we went to the garden to get them, we found that something had beaten us to it, and had munched the cobs and the plants right down to the ground! We suspected muntjacs, someone else said it may have been badgers. I hope they enjoyed their feast...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We (by 'we' I mean my dad) grew sweetcorn in a previous garden but I can't remember if we actually harvested any. That salsa looks so good and I'll definitely be giving it a try. (I almost added a jar of peppers to the basket in the supermarket earlier today. Now wishing I had!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment